Earring Care-Dos & Donts
Author: Culturesse Date Posted:13 November 2018
Everything comes with wear and tear. Taking proper care of your earrings not only extend the 'life span' of your ear love, but also adds more enjoyment to your fashion styling. Who doesn't like their money stretch...? We have sourced a few tips on 'Dos and Donts' when it comes to taking care of your earrings.
- Put earrings on after you put your clothes on. Doing this will ensure that your clothing doesn't get caught on your sweater or t-shirt during the clothing removal process.
- Clean your jewellery before storing: Sweat will change the colour of the pieces and make them look old. So, it is important that before storing, you wipe off all the sweat from the jewellery pieces and store it at concealed places. Ideally, store them in a jewellery box with multiple slots or store them separately in boxes they came in to avoid scratching.
- Dry your hands before handling, or putting on, any piece of fashion jewelry from your collection. Remove your jewelry before showering, swimming or exercising.
- Keep the Jewellery clean & dry: Maintain the lustre of fashion jewellery by keeping it clean and dry. For metal fashion earrings especially, any type of cream, lotion, perfume, oil or even water is an undeniable accelerator of rusting. Make sure to apply cream & perfume before wearing your earrings.
- The best way to store fashion jewellery is by keeping them separately in cotton or velvet pouches to prevent them breaking, tangling, or tarnishing. You can also hang the necklaces vertically on hooks so that they are separate from each other. Alternatively, you can also display your costume jewelry on earring holders, necklace stands, bracelet and watch displays to avoid messy tangles that can harm the jewelry. Display stands are also great for showing off your jewelry so you get to enjoy it more.
- When traveling or carrying your jewelry around use a roll – also known as an jewelry organizer – as it is soft so it protects your treasures from nasty knocks.
- Sterling silver can oxidize/tarnish overtime. Lightly tarnished silver can be cleaned with a silver polish cloth. Use a mild liquid silver cleaner for heavily tarnished pieces or a simple handmade solution of hot water, baking soda and aluminum foil. Rinse and dry well, store away properly.
- Do not let your fashion earrings get in contact with water, lotion, perfume, silver cleaner, hair spray or other harsh chemicals
- Do not wear your earrings in pool or at the spa, especially a mineral spa. Chlorine, salt water and heat may permanently damage the earrings. However, if this does occur, rinse and dry it well after, if you forget to remove it.
- Do not use a polishing cloth as this will strip away the plating. If your earrings need more cleaning you may clean it with warm, soapy water. Soak it for a few minutes and you may clean it with a soft cloth.
- Do not coat the earrings. You would often find people recommending using nail polish to maintain the luster of fashion jewellery. However, coating may actually lead to tarnishing its shine or it may result in peeling of the plating as it gets off the jewellery.